The theme for 2023 is: Commemorating Australia’s Vietnam War service
This aligns with the 50th anniversary of the end of Australia’s involvement in the Vietnam War.
Last year Rosebery District School year 7-10 boys won two national awards from their entry and $5,000 in prize money for their school.
This year Mountain Heights Year 10 HASS students will be entering the nationwide competition with their own unique entry. Nicky from the Study Hub and Patsy from the Study Centre in Smithton recently spent several hours with the class, going through entry requirements and discussing possible sub-themes with students.
The idea is to create a winning entry with a unique twist. Discussions so far include:
- Indigenous Tasmanian participation
- Indigenous Australian participation
- West Coast or North West Coast Vietnam veterans
- Women in service in Vietnam
- Vietnam – the controversial war
Entries are judged on these criteria, which are evenly weighted:
- Commitment to the 2023 theme: Commemorating Vietnam War service.
- Engagement with veterans or current-serving members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) – in person, virtually or using primary source materials, such as video interviews with veterans like those in the Stories of Service section on the Anzac Portal or letters from service personnel.
- Evidence of student-led learning.
- Quality of research using credible primary and secondary sources.
- Innovative learning activities.
- Demonstrate understanding and empathy through reflection.
- Overall quality and presentation of entry compared to others.
Entries close at the end of May and we wish them the best of luck!